15 March 2013

Without You (Jerod's Fourth Tale - Part 4)


“Tania, you are brilliant. Dump that loser and marry me,” said Ted.

“Sorry, Ginger, mine all mine. Brilliant and beautiful. And Tania, if someone steals the bag, I’ll buy you lots more clothes. You deserve it.”

“What happens if this takes more than a week?” asked Tania.

I frowned. “I think, I talk to my brother and tell him to expect his sister-in-law, niece and nephew. Sunset Valley is far enough from here that you’ll be very safe.”

When Tania left the room to start packing, Ted moved closer so he could quietly ask me, “I know that making the family safe is a priority but what did you expect to do after that?”

“Track down Kane. He might still be in prison but someone may well have paid his way out,” I replied.

“I told you leaving him alive would have been a mistake.”

“You said that yesterday, which was a little late given that I dealt with him months ago. And that dude is fucking huge. If he wanted me dead, he could do it with his bare hands. That’s what I would expect him to do. None of this hinting around, I’d just be dead.” I paused. “But if I were looking for information about what happened to Pesce, I’d start with him. He was her last known partner. The locals all hated her, she was arrogant, self-centred, pushy bitch. They wouldn’t say anything.”

Ted nodded. “I’ll see what I can dig up on him. He probably isn’t in prison in Egypt, but I’ll see.”

“I’ll appreciate that. You can do more in a couple of hours on the computer than I could do in a couple of weeks.”

“In the meantime, I’ll let Wyatt what we need for him to do. I take it that we are the only ones to know the final destination?” asked Marta.

“Of a preference, yes. The fewer people that know I hid my family and where, the safer they’ll be.” I smiled at Marta. “You and Ted I will trust. Wyatt, Sinbad and the others, no.” Ted and Marta returned next door.

I started pacing back and forth. Was there anything more I could do for my family? I honestly couldn’t think of anything to do that we could do in the time we had available. The best I could do was be the walking target, keep the enemy focused on me. That part of the plan, I was not going to tell Tania.

That also meant that I wasn’t going to be able to go near my family until I knew it was over. Brief phone calls or messages, yes but visit them? I could lead the enemy straight to them.

As promised, it wasn’t long before Tania came back out with her guitar case slung over a shoulder and one larger bag in hand. Using the guitar case was a nice touch, she’s quite devious when she wants to be. “Shrimp, if they find us, use the knives?”

“First line of defence would be run for it. If we can leave you a car here,” I pointed on the map, “grab the kids and bolt for the car.” She nodded.

“Even if you can’t run, don’t pull out the knives. Great for general intimidation, but not very lethal if you aren’t in close range. It takes a lot of practice to hurt someone when throwing a knife. If you have to stand and fight, grab a tree branch. Hit them hard on the leg and they will slow down. Hit them hard in stomach and you may wind them. Hit them hard in the head and you might knock them out. You might also kill them that way.” I looked hard at her. “Do not threaten them with your weapon. Either swing hard and do your best to hurt them or don’t pick up the branch. Threatening is a good way to lose your weapon and the fight.”

“I think I understand. If I threaten, the odds that they can grab it go up.”

I nodded. “That’s basically it. If you just hold it, taking it from you is a lot easier. Swing it hard and even just stopping the blow will hurt.” I hugged Tania tightly. “Be careful. Listen for any cars slowing too much or footsteps nearby. Be ready.”

“You be careful too. Though I guess I needn’t bother telling you that. Careful isn’t what you do best, is it?” She smiled at me. “What are your plans?”

“Once I know you’re safe, I’ll have to start worrying about that.”

Tania looked into my eyes. “Liar. You do have some plans.” I was worried that she was going to start demanding the details. “But I’m probably better off not knowing them. I have a job that I have to do. I’ll have to trust you to do the one you’ve set for yourself.”

“I adore you. You do know that?” I said.

“You damn well should adore me,” she winked. “I’m the best wife you happen to have.”

“And the sexiest, whether you are being you or channelling your inner bitch. Turn that phone on at 6 tonight. We can have a brief chat.” I pulled her close for a kiss. “But I think you have to go. Ted will have had plenty of time to get in place by now. And this is not going to get any easier.”

Tania nodded and went to collect the kids. Two bags, one toddler under arm, the other following along. Given that after this, Tania was going to have to manage on her own, I didn’t offer to help with any of it. I did open the car door for her, watch while she got the kids settled.

Before she got behind the wheel, I gave her a light peck on the cheek. “Have fun practising at Red Rendezvous, see you in a couple of hours.”

She smiled and waved as she back the car away. Yeah, in case they happen to be close enough to hear, I want them to think Tania is just out for a few hours.

Once the car was out of sight, I moved my easel to the front yard and began a painting of our little tree out the front. Usually once I grab a brush, the rest of the world fades away. This time, I had maintain an awareness of my surroundings, just in case. Standing out there, I really did feel like a target. Still, better me than the family.

After a couple of hours of painting, I realised I was hungry. I wandered inside, made myself a sandwich and grabbed a cold drink from the fridge. It struck me as I sat down that the house was very quiet. I couldn’t remember the last time I was the only one at home. I was more often the one home with the kids, since I didn’t have a regular job.

So I was instantly aware when I heard the sound of snapping wood outside. If it had been from behind the house, it could have been Tania’s garden or our outdoor bar. Since it was the front of the house, the sound must have been my easel, new painting or both.

Caution meant I didn’t bolt from the table and rush out the door to see what happened. It would be too late to save my art from its fate and really stupid to run out the door when I know someone has it in for me. I finished my sandwich and my drink. I also thought about what the enemy was trying to accomplish. How long were they going to keep up this minor intimidation phase?

I then tried to check the most recent output from my security cameras. Unfortunately, there was only a black screen. Fuck, I forgot to check the damned cameras before. They probably broke them when they had cut the power. It would have been nice to have my first look at who was involved. I did look out the window at the sad wreckage of my easel. It was never going to be useful again.

So painting was out. I couldn’t practice drums, way too noisy. Listening to music was out for the same reason. I washed my plate, then started cleaning the counter and then started cleaning the rest of the house. If Tania has a fault, it’s that she doesn’t clean. If the mess bothers me, then it’s my job to do it.

One thing about a small house, I did a good clean of the whole place and it took 2 hours. Only 4 in the afternoon, two long hours before I’m supposed to ring Tania. Fucking hell, all this waiting was going to kill me. I wish I had a target to go after.

4 comments:

  1. I never saw this earlier!!

    I really like this post - it shows off how good your writing is getting! And of course I like badass Tania. Poor Jerod, he must be going crazy! I think he can trust her to protect the family without him, though.

    Yes yes go after Kane and not the other Pesces ;( No more crocodiles for the Pesces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only went out last night.

      It was kind of an experiment, without pictures is much easier. It's good to just really really write and not worry about the pics

      Jerod is not happy, that's for sure. But putting Tania and the kids somewhere else does not make him happy.

      No more crocodiles for Pesces. I promise.

      Delete
  2. Not worrying about pictures always makes it so much easier, because even with poses there is so much you can't do with the Sims.

    Hopefully he figures out whats going on fast so he he can bring the kids and Tania home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Usually each post represents a single Sim day played multiple times just to get pics for stories in this blog. And they get harder to do because it is Sims.

      Jerod is in for interesting times before the end.

      Delete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread