17 October 2011

The Mummer's Dance (Jerod's Third Tale - Part 5)



Well away from the Beaumont household, we started to discuss what Jean Luc had told us. “So, Shrimp, where would we get information about this Lambert guy?”

“Well, I may ask a shopkeeper or two a few questions. You should head for base and send email to Ted. See what his computer wizardry can conjure up for us.”

“Mister, do you think I’m letting you wander town on your own?”

“Tania, this is my game and my rules.” I gave her a serious look. “Base camp is two minutes walking distance from the shops. It’s as safe for both of us as any place can be. And I have a way of getting information out of people. Someone may talk to one person but they may not with two.”

“Jerod!”

“No. I’m serious. While there is a small chance that something might happen, there is also a small chance it might happen to you too.” I took a deep breath. “It was being careless at base camp in Egypt that nearly cost me my life on the last trip. Be careful and be alert, always. I’ll stop by the relic store and maybe the general store, then return to camp in two hours tops.”

“Well, I don’t like it. But I guess I'll do it.”

“That’s my girl. Go ahead and tell Ted everything you remember about the meeting. When he gets the message, he should have everything we need to know in a few hours.”

So my first stop was the relic shop. Truth be told, I wouldn’t trust a single thing to be a genuine relic if bought from here. It had all the markings of a tourist trap.

Not that I could blame the proprietor at all. Genuine relics are expensive to handle, a town this size simply doesn't attract enough people.

“May I be of some assistance, Monsieur? Perhaps a gift?”

“I was wondering if you could tell me a little about town. My wife and I are thinking a little holiday place might be nice. Is Champs a good place to live?”

“But of course. The weather is fabuleux. The town is charmant. There is a range of homes that can be bought.” She looked me over once, “Though I am not sure that any are the price range you would hope for.”

“I’m sure I could arrange the money if we decide to buy. It certainly won’t hurt us to look at the places. Would you be so kind as to give me directions?”

“Mai oui, there is one very close to town centre. You just turn right going out of the shop, turn left when you reach the road and it is the second house on the left.”

“Excellent, merci. I’m also a bit of an artist, how hard is it to keep a small shop in town?” 

She hesitated and looked away for a moment. Will she tell me something interesting or lie? “Keeping a shop, it is not easy. There are many expenses, you have to sell enough to keep yourself in business.”

“Many expenses, eh?” She looked away again. Partly true but not the full story would be my guess. “I don’t suppose you would tell me more?”

“No Monsieur.” I bought a small knickknack and left the shop.

I went next to the bookshop. It was a similar story. There is something going on that the shopkeepers are unhappy about and unhappy to talk about. I’m betting it’s Lambert.

I walked back to base camp to find Tania tapping away at the computer keyboard.

“I’m back. Any news yet?”

“Ted sent this,” Tania pushed the computer in my direction.


Shrimp and Tania,


I believe I have your guy, but I’m not positive. Francois Lambert is a fairly common name in that area. Of those I found, only two of them have been in government service.

I expect that your Lambert is the one that was forcibly retired from a government position as a senior manager about 3 years ago for fraud. The records I could dig up suggest that he does have a pension but for much less than would be usual.

No criminal record, I think they did a deal to keep it quiet. I can’t see him posing much of a problem for you, Shrimp.

Lana and Toby are still fine. All is well here.

Ted


“What do you think we should do?”

“Well, there are three possibilities I can think of. The first is murder him.”

“Shrimp! You have to be joking.”

“Not entirely joking, Tania. Sometimes it is necessary and has to be considered as an option. However, I don’t think it will be necessary in this case.”

“I should hope not.”

I gave my wife a serious look. “If you insist on being involved with me and my business, sooner or later that will be the necessary option. You’ll need to be ready to back me up just as much for that as for anything else. Understand?”

Tania nodded reluctantly. “So what are the other options if that one is out?”

“Option two is blackmail him back. Can you see the problems with that one?”

“Well,” Tania tapped her chin, “if we blackmail him about blackmailing someone else, what if he decides to try to blackmail us?”

“Or ignores it, or reports it to the authorities. There is a lot that can go wrong with blackmail, which I’m hoping we will be proving to Mr Lambert soon enough.”

“So what’s the third possibility?”

I smiled. “We frame him. Set him up in some situation that will put him in prison. It will have to be something splashy, something that will discredit him with everyone in town.”

“You are sounded very pleased with yourself, Shrimp.”

“Why not, my love. This is when it gets to be fun.” Nothing like a well thought out evil plan to put me into the best mood. “Shall we go for a stroll?”

“I thought you were concocting an evil plan?”

“I like to walk and think at the same time. It works for me.”

We took a casual stroll around the streets of Champs. We walked past the Lambert residence, discussing the town and the shops. He owns quite a large and comfortable looking place. A house of someone with means.

We wandered past the little house available for sale to foreigners. It was a charming but tiny house, we discussed the possibility of buying it sometime. We meandered past the shops, Tania looking at the goods in the windows.

Eventually we found a little space over looking the river and stood there watching the water peacefully roll by.

“Any thoughts yet?”

“I do believe that Fracois Lambert is about to be guilty of corrupting a government official. Or blackmailing one. Both seem very appropriate, given his history.”

“Jerod, how would you set about that?”

“For the corruption? Hmm, set up an account in Lambert’s name and use that to send a bribe. Ted might be able to use his real account but that’s some major system hacking. That’s simply not possible for me. Blackmail is probably better. We can hit up Jean Luc for more details about how Lambert does the squeeze. Use those details to set up a similar deal on some official in the local government. Make sure that the press and the police are all invited to the party.”

“Shrimp?”

“Yes, Sweetheart?”

“Is it really necessary? I mean, framing someone.”

“Can you think of another way to stop Lambert from blackmailing Beaumont? I’m open for suggestions. Besides, he’s already dirty, it’s not like I’m proposing to frame an innocent man.” Not this time, at any rate.

“But, can’t we just call the police?”

“Sweetheart, even the legit businesses haven’t called the police. Why would they pay attention to accusations from a pair of foreigners?” I took a deep breath and smiled. “So you still in or will you be staying at the base camp?” The protection act was one thing but framing someone is definitely treading well into the dark side. Would Tania be willing to dip her toes there?

-----

bonus

Jerod did manage enough to do enough little things for the natives to reach level 1 visa. Next trip doesn't have to be so compressed. I think they are currently on day two of 3 - for the third time!


Sorry, this wasn't a very excited post. Maybe next time.

17 comments:

  1. :O Ooh, Tania...She's getting into Jerod's "evil" plans. But, the goodness in her are still so apparent... especially at those last lines. "Is it really necessary? I mean, framing someone?" "But, can't we just call the police?"

    :) Jerod's mind is evil...but he's smart. I'm very curious about this lambert. I hope their plan will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Evil at the "right" time.

    Wonderful update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Tania is good and it is apparent that she'd rather find some legal loophole. But she did agree to marry our evil little Jerod so there is some hope for her.

    Jerod is certainly very smart, though not a genius like Ted. There are few things he likes more than an evil plan.

    Thanks for the comments MJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. D'you mean she's going to turn into a lovely evil lady? It's interesting how you coupled the evil and the good -- even though she's once almost out of his life. Yes, I think Jerod is a rock star evil agent :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh go on Tania you know you want to! I love the plot of this already it's so in depth and thought out, great work and so good to have Shrimp back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Tania's playing for Shrimp's team now! Is it just me, or is Shrimp looking a little more "mature"? He seems to have aged a bit.

    I am intrigued, definitely. This story seems to be taking an interesting turn. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey MJ, Tania will always be good, the voice of conscience for Shrimp.

    They always had a lot of chemistry, they really did argue about stuff like Tania being a slob and immediately want to woohoo each other. Which is why they are still together.

    Goodness me, it's nice to see you so chatty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. angiebeno, you are such a Shrimp fan. He is available to be thrown into your story, you know. To be used, abused or killed as your story takes it. :)

    Glad you are enjoying the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cheezy!

    Well, Tania is still only partly on side, her next decision takes it to a new level or not.

    Shrimp and Tania have both been adults since the start of the last story. So he hasn't matured lately. :) Like many of the Grant bloodline, he makes a fine looking adult.

    Glad you are enjoying the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriiiiiiiiguing! :) Now I have to read from the start. XD Look what you got me into. :P

    (I should have done that anyway. I'm a lazy, bad friend. BAD.)

    ~Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Princess Shanna :)

    Start of which though? Start of blog, start of Shrimp or the start of this story? LOL whichever strikes your fancy.

    Not bad lazy friend. Just hadn't gotten around to checking the blog out. I'm a member of the procrastination society - or should be but I never get around to joining.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uh ohhh, will Tania be willing to get into Jerod's evil schemes? ;) I'm curious to see if she does, and if it changes her. I agree with MJ, the goodness in her really came out this post, and it's an intriguing comparison with Jerod's... practicality, I guess I'd say? Not necessarily evil. He just does what he needs to and doesn't worry about ethics, so to speak. Tania's definitely more idealistic and I'm curious to see if that changes with the coming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bah, it was plenty exciting! At least, in the mind-bendy way!

    Bahahaha--I like their decision on how to handle Lambert! Murder, blackmail, or framed--they're definitely right to pick framing. None of the options would probably work to get him out of the way.

    THe guy is quite the scoundrel, too. Blackmailing most of the business owners in town? This definitely seems to be one case where the 'dark knight' will end up a hero at the end of the story, as well as a villian. ;)

    Mmm, things are definitely getting nice and sweetly complex--I can't wait to see what happens! You're spinning a wonderful tale, PiB! I lub it. :3

    <3!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Amelia, that's what Shrimp is waiting patiently for. It's up to Tania if she'll join in this scheme. I don't think she'll ever completely stop being good, but she did fall in love with an evil Sim.

    As for Jerod, he will do what it takes to get the results he needs. But given he's been known to arrange for someone to be kidnapped, framed for assaulting an underage girl and murder - I do believe he might just be evil. :)

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kaleeko,

    Well, it was all plotting and little action.

    Done correctly, murder would solve the problem. It's just a bit extreme and would require much planning for dealing with bodies etc.

    Hmm, the dark knight could be a hero if he removes a pest. But Jerod has a taste for a quiet life, and letting people know about that one could ruin in.

    Glad you still loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Tania might be really enjoying this business vacation, mainly because she can get down to the nitty-gritty of what Jerod really gets up to. lol
    I can almost see Tania letting loose a little and possibly being a little evil herself? ;)

    Jerod seems to already know how to deal with Lambert. I wonder though will be be able top pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen, Tania is certainly getting to see what Jerod really gets up to. Wait till you read the next part, she has a definite devilish side herself.

    Evil little Shrimp always has ideas. But so far, he usually manages to pull them off.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread