29 October 2011

All Souls Night (Jerod's Third Tale - Part 7)



The next morning, I busied myself making breakfast while I thought about what else we needed to cover before the drop. There were the local cops to inform. Maybe get a few of the shopkeepers there. Was there anything else I could do to maximise the impact of this?

“Shrimp? Ted didn’t email last night.”

Deep in my own thoughts, I wasn’t really paying attention to Tania. “That’s nice, honey.”

“Jerod!” The tone of her voice made my brain go to instant replay of the last thing Tania said. “You weren’t listening, were you?”



“I wasn’t paying attention but you said that Ted didn’t email. Maybe he didn’t think it was worthwhile, he had just sent us that bit on Lambert after all.”

“He promised me.”

“Sweetheart, what did I tell you about Ted yesterday? You can’t always trust his promises.”

“But, he’s always so sweet with Lana and I.”

“Look, it’s like 2 in the morning at home. We’ll ring the house when it’s a reasonable time and talk to the sitter. You should send an email to Ted and let him know you’re worried.” Truth be told, I am a bit concerned too. Ted is addicted to computers, it’s hard to think why he might not have sent email before starting work. I finished cooking breakfast and we sat to eat.


After breakfast, we went out into the courtyard, a better place to discuss things. By that time, Tania managed to refocus her attention. “So how is today going to work?”

“I work out some reason to get the law at the scene at the right time. We help Jean Luc put the money in place. Then a glorious scene when all hell breaks loose as Lambert tries to grab his money, Bernard yells blue murder that Lambert is blackmailing him, and we make a very quiet exit.”

“What if someone works out that you weren’t who you said?”


“Lambert is dirty. Once fingers start pointing, I’m sure that they’ll be so happy to be rid of him that my part in the affair won’t be remembered.”

“And if they do remember?”

“Next time, we might have to come disguised or send a proxy to check on things. We’ll see when the time comes. At the moment, we have to concentrate on this job, not the potential consequences of what might happen later. So, I’d like to make sure the local cops turn up.”

“I’ve heard that there is a topless protest planned today.”


I looked at Tania. “Brilliant, that’s brilliant. If they get a tip about that, they’ll be there.” I gave Tania a big smooch. “Damn woman, where have you been all my life?”

“Hiding right in front of you,” she grinned.

“So, that takes care of the basics. We have cops, photographers, a ‘victim’ ready to testify against the guy. There is one thing I’m still worried about.”

“What’s that?”

“When Lambert is planning on arriving to this party. We can’t expect the others to hang out waiting. I’d estimate that we have 5, at most 10 minutes before everyone starts leaving. Unless you really can arrange a topless protest?” Tania shook her head. “Then we have to find a way to make sure he gets to the place at the right time so the rest will work.”

I paced. One thought kept coming to mind. I didn’t like it but it was the only idea that seemed possible. “Tania, you have any ideas?”



“No, not really.”

“I think that this will have to be your show. Bernard has talked me, he’d never believe it if I happened to be coming from the same direction at the same time as Lambert. If you change outfits and hairstyle, there is a good chance you can get Lambert close enough that we can spring the trap without anyone recognising you. I’ll be shepherding Beaumont for the drop, then watching Bernard. If Lambert doesn’t seem to be leaving his place for the pickup by 5 past, you’ll have to try to get him over here. You ready for the show?”

“I think so. But the idea is giving me butterflies.”

“That’s natural. It’s the first time you’ve been involved in anything like this. With any luck, you won’t have to talk to him at all. Just follow along behind and make sure he’s going to the pickup. He’s been blackmailing for several years now so he’s probably not as alert as he might be.”


We set the rest of the wheels in motion. The police, the shopkeepers and some of the other tourists all found themselves wanting to travel to the place at ten past 2. By then, Beaumont should have finished the drop and gotten away. In theory, it should all work. It was as good a plan as we had time to set up. In practice, I shudder to think how many potential catastrophes we might encounter. Then again, as long as enough elements come together, we should get the result we want. Lambert lambasted. I love it when an evil plan comes together.

I found an abandoned clean paper bag and some paper. I cut the paper into bank note size, stuffing them into the bag. I threw a few low denominational notes on the top, enough to hide the plain paper below.  By the time that was finished, it was nearly noon. I looked over to Tania. “Sweetheart? It’s late enough to ring home if you want to.”


Tania promptly pulled out her phone and rang the sitter. “Hi, just wanted to check on things. Any problems with the children?” Even from a few paces away, I could hear a toddler tantrum in progress. “I see.” “Ok.” “Well, I hope she gets over it soon.” “Her godfather didn’t show up last night? Well, that does explain it.” “Thank you.”


“The kids are fine but Lana has been throwing tantrums all day,” started Tania.

“Because her godfather didn’t visit last night. I heard.”

“I don’t like it. That’s not like Ted.”

“I agree, but there is absolutely nothing we can do now. Our flight doesn’t leave for two days and so we may as well see our current scheme through.” Tania was still looking distraught so I gave her a big hug. “The kids are fine and Ted is capable of taking care of himself. You have to concentrate on your target, Monsieur Lambert. At this point, we need Lambert to arrive on time and you have to do it.” Tania nodded slowly. “That’s my girl.”

I glanced at my watch. It was time for me to visit Bernard and then get Beaumont off to make the drop. “I have to go. You be careful, very very careful.”

“You too, Shrimp. I don’t feel like breaking in a new husband, I’m kind of used to you.” She was trying but I could tell by her voice that she was scared.

“You’ll have to work hard to get rid of me. I’m the proverbial bad penny.” With that I was out the door.

Yves was pacing around on the street outside his house. “Are you still willing to work with us?”

“Mais oui, if Monsieur Lambert is willing to blackmail me, who else might he leech from?”

“If you would be so kind as to arrive at the central plaza a little past two and then wait. Remember, say nothing until I do this.” I gave a wave of one arm. “Then accuse Lambert of blackmail.”

He gave me a brief nod and I went to collect Jean Luc. “Here is the parcel,” I handed him the bag of cash/paper. “I’ll be nearby but not that close. You take a seat on the bench, put the parcel down and leave.”

“Monsieur, you have no idea how much leaving appeals to me.” I bowed toward the door and Jean Luc proceeded toward the drop point. I trailed along well behind, I knew where we were going.

It was only a few minutes before we arrived at the destination. I watched as Jean Luc left the bag as instructed and ran off. It was just a minute past two. I found a spot where I could keep an eye on things without being too obtrusive about it.

I watched as the first couple of photographers and one who looked suspiciously like an off-duty cop started vaguely milling around. It was a bit concerning. Too many people milling around would scare our little mark off.  Bernard arrived and I motioned for him to stand back from our drop point.

I was just starting to get worried when Lambert appeared on the scene. He looked uncomfortable with the number of people hanging out but after a moment, he headed for the bag. As he approached the target, a few more souls gathered. I waited until his fingers had just brushed the top of the bag and waved at Bernard.

“Stop him! He’s a blackmailer.” I loved the fact that there was a photographer just behind Lambert. We had him so nailed.

Lambert jumped as though electrified. The photographers had been looking disappointed at the lack of topless protesters but started snapping away at Lambert.  Two uniforms magically appeared on the scene collaring Lambert. Bernard formally stated that he’d been the victim of blackmail, accused of a crime he never committed. The scene was all I had hoped for.

14 comments:

  1. I'm oddly more worried about Ted than Tania or Shrimp at this point, haha.

    Also, I really adore everything Tania says. Her attitude reminds me of Marian from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Idk why, but I always picture her delivering all her lines in that manner. Actually, come to think of it, their entire relationship in this piece reminds me of Indy and Marian.

    Glad to see that Jerod's plan is working... but I also feel like there's another shoe about to drop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, seems reasonable. We don't know what is happening with Ted but Tania and Shrimp have their job well in hand.

    :) Anything that reminds you of Indy must be a good thing.

    You'll just have to wait patiently to read the next bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad their plan worked as they hoped.

    Perhaps it's time to come home and check on Ted and Lana?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, so good, or so it seems for Shrimp and Tania... have to wonder about Ted though, what could have happened that prevented him to go visit Lana? :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mj, well, still a lose end or two to tidy but soon to go home.

    @flyingace, That does seem to be the current mystery. What has happened to Ted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me worried about Ted, but I'm kinda hoping they are going to hear a good news from him and that's he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah i love it when an evil plan comes together! Oh yes i am now quoting Shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo! Everything fell into place! I almost feel bad for Lambert, at those last few shots, but... Yeah, no. HA. Who knew that Topless Women was codename for blackmailer? ;D

    There's definitely no real sense of relief there, though--especially not for Tania. Not with Ted seemingly fallen off the face of the Earth... :S This isn't good. Where could he be?! Did Lambert have an accomplice? Aaaaaah... Too many possibilities. I just hope you're still on your guard, Shrimp!

    Awesome post, PiB--I'm sooo anxious to see what's going to happen after this... hopefully it's nothing bad! :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. @angiebeno - yep, that's a definite Shrimp quotable. He doesn't show evil often but when he does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @kaleeko,

    Yes, things weren't going to plan for Lambert, were they? There he was, expecting more money for his retirement fund and pow, everything blows up.

    As for Ted, yes, that does seem to be a bit of a problem. (Isn't it sweet, everyone cares about that big nosed carrot top?)

    Next post is scheduled for sometime or other this next week. And the finale will be a week after that (unwritten but it is plotted out.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those two together really are a perfect duo. Their plan worked, except for the absence of topless protesters. lol

    I see you've posted another, I'll be there soon!

    Oh and good luck with NaNo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first started the Shrimp stories, I really didn't think he and Tania would make it as a couple. And yet, they really do complement each other quite well.

    Have fun with other post. I have a few more Nano words for tonight so I think I'll hit your new post tomorrow sometime.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ;_; Where's Ted, is Ted okay?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh, Ted has yet another fan. :) You'll find out soon enough what happened, since this story finished a while back.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread