02 November 2011

Standing Stones (Jerod's Third Tale - Part 8)




It took me a few moments to spot Tania sitting quietly on a bench nearby. I casually ambled over in her direction, gawking at the buildings as a good tourist should. Tania was reading a book and ignoring the chaos. When I was close, she shrugged, closed the book and started walking down the street. We were well away from the action before we started to talk.

“Remind me next time. We have to have an agreed place to meet after.” I grinned at Tania. “You handled yourself like you’ve been doing this for years.”

“It’s over? Really over?”

“Lambert is so discredited in this town that even if he isn’t convicted, he’ll never trouble a soul again. That Yves Bernard can testify he was falsely accused and that will give an out to all of them. It’s done.”



“I didn’t really have to do anything. Lambert was headed to the plaza on his own.”

“But you were ready to and that’s what counts in this business. So, what did you think?” I watched Tania closely.
“It was scary but …” her voice trailed off.

“Horrifying? Disgusting? Exciting? Spine-tingling? Mind-blowing?”

“Woah, Shrimp, I think I need some time.” She held out her hand, it was quivering.

I gently kissed her hand. “Take your time. We are done here. You did wonderfully though.”

As we moved further from the crowd, we decided that for the night, we’d use one of the smaller camping areas. While I didn’t expect that anyone had take much notice of either Tania or I today, keeping out of sight still seemed prudent.

I waited for Tania to disappear to the toilets. I’d been thinking about who best to contact in the Company; Wyatt, Marta, Sinbad, Shark. I picked Marta because she is the Master Thief and shouldn’t be worried about Ted’s desire to be an evil emperor. “Marta? Yeah, this is Shrimp, sorry about the time.” “No, we’re good but I have a question. Have you seen Ted at all over the past two days?” “No? I was afraid of that. Look, could you drop by his place and if he’s not there, keep your ears open for anything strange?” “Thanks.”

I made a second call. “Look, would it be possible to switch two seats from the day after tomorrow to tomorrow afternoon? Business class. You can? Great, just do it.” Yeah, pre-emptive strike here. Marta hasn’t seen Ted, we haven’t heard from him. He’s not the kind of guy to go on holiday and he’d never disappear without warning anyone.

“Shrimp, who were you talking to?”

“The airlines. If Beaumont agrees we have removed Lambert, we could fly out early, if we want to.” I gave Tania my best innocent smile.

You’d think I’d know better by now. Tania’s eyes narrowed when she saw that smile, “And why, exactly, would we want to? It’s my first trip, it’s a beautiful place.”

“And Ted hasn’t been to work for two nights now. I don’t like that. I hate to think what Lana’s like by now. But if you want to stay, we can.” Every movement Tania made screamed her indecision. “We will be back again. It’s likely we’ll be back in a couple of months. That’s one of the things the Company wanted a special foreign rep for. Regular visits to make sure things stay on track.”

“What you are trying to say, my devious man, is that you really want to head home.” Tania looked directly in my eyes. I hate it when she does that, it’s much harder to put a spin on the answer.

“Yes sweetheart. It’s time to fly home. I don’t have answers and our children are there. It’s a combination that makes me twitchy.” It was the truth and she could tell. She nodded reluctantly.

It had been an exhausting day for both of us, it didn’t take long to sleep, in spite of our worries. Tomorrow would be another day and worrying about it now would get us nowhere.

The next morning, my phone was beeping. I’d had a text. Marta’s message was simply, “No sign of Ted, home or work.” Damn. I’m seriously not happy to see that news. “Jerod? What’s that?”

I sighed. There was no way I was going to keep it from Tania for long. “Ted’s still missing. He’s not at home and he’s not been to work.” Tania started to reach for her phone. “Remember the time difference. The sitter and the kids should be soundly asleep right now.”

“That’s right.” She put away her phone. “What do we do?”

“For the moment, finish the job we came to do. Make sure that Jean Luc will reduce the price of the goods back to something reasonable. Then get on a plane this afternoon and bolt for home.” Tania nodded. “On the other hand, our flight isn’t particularly early, and so we may as well enjoy town a bit more. Our business with Jean Luc should only take a few minutes.”

We journeyed into town to visit Jean Luc. “Jean Luc, how are you this fine day?”

“Oh Monsieur, that beast is in jail. I am so relieved.”

“So you’ll drop the prices for the next shipment as we agreed?”

A greedy look came into Jean Luc’s eyes. “I do not think so. The shipments are now 600, I see no reason to drop the price.”

“What! You fucking bastard. You goddamn little whore. We had a deal and if you break it, you’ll annoy me,” I was snarling at him. “ Do you want to know what happened to the last two people who annoyed me? One was sent to prison for a very long stay and the other is dead.” I poked him in the chest. “Are you sure you want to annoy me?” He was scrambling back out of my way. “Well, you fucking little bastard, what’s it to be?”

“It was 300?”

“It was 280 and right now you’re lucky that I haven’t decided to make it 250 because you are a loathsome little prick. I expect a shipment to leave here by the end of the week. Fail me and you will pay.”

I stormed out of the house with Tania at my heels. “Miserable bastard. Is that the thanks we get?”

We stopped outside and Tania looked at me for a moment. I thought for a moment she was going to comment on my language or abusing Jean Luc. Instead, her first words were, “You need a drink. Let’s go back to the nectary for the rest of the morning after I change clothes to tourist again.”

“Love of my life, that is an excellent plan. Let’s go.”

After a few drinks, I asked Tania, "Do you think I was a bit rough on Beaumont?"

"Jerod, when you are that angry, you are one scary guy. Beaumont did deserve something though, you don't break promises."


We tasted some of the wares at the nectary and I purchased a few young but promising vintages to take home. It put me in a much better mood for the long flight home.

——

We were still on the sidewalk when we heard toddler tantrum in progress. Little Lana has very good lungs. Tania and I looked at each other.

“I’ll pay off the sitter. They are getting a bonus,” I told Tania.

“You coward. Leave me with the hard work.”

“You bet. That child is going to take some work to calm down.”
Tania just nodded as we walked into the house. Lana stopped screaming the moment she spotted her mother. I paid the sitter double the usual. Then I ducked next door to chat to Marta.

“Hey, gorgeous, heard anything yet?”

“Shrimp, you’re back. I’ve heard nada. And haven’t noticed anything different around town.”

“Is there anyone local in the Company that might be holding a grudge?”

“I wouldn’t have thought so but now that Ted has vanished, I’m not so sure. I take it you don’t suspect me.”

“Not of making Ted disappear.” I winked at Marta. “If everything in his house vanished overnight, you’d be my first suspect. We need at least two more people outside the Company that we can trust. A group of us should check around town, see if there are any signs of unusual stuff. But if someone is keeping Ted and they find out, that will be the end of him.” I was feeling indecisive, a mistake at this point might be fatal. It might not, and it might be too late already.

“Well, let’s start with the basics. Talk to our friends, see if anyone has seen someone new around town or something that seems a bit different. We don’t have to ask specifically about Ted, just what they’ve noticed.”

“Good start. Come over to my place around 6 ish, we can discuss our findings.”

---

Bonus pics



Oh look, aren't they beautiful?

The stars?

No silly, our fans.

Tania, fire roasted lettuce? That is just fail.

Jean Luc is very expressive if you need a local for a bit part.

They actually got plenty of adventure time - since they relived day 2 several times over


Came home with plenty of booty and Jerod has a level 2 visa for France (no cheating!)

14 comments:

  1. uh oh, where is Teddy boy?!

    Note to self: Don't annoy shrimp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is my Teeed? Poor Lana will be so upset if he dies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cami,

    More on Ted next episode.

    As for annoying Shrimp - well, the two he is referring to tried to kill him - which is seriously for anyone. Back in his first story, he was annoyed by his boss but also by himself. I think you'll be safe enough LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @amelia - where oh where has my Teddy gone - oh where oh where could he be?

    Next episode == finale. So all should be revealed whenever the heck I get time to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, next ep = finale. I can't wait to read it!

    Oh, Jean luc is so tricky. He should have known not to mess around with Jerod. Tania looks beautiful with her new hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh oh what has happened to Ted????? They are gonna have one unruly toddler on their hands if Shrimp doesn't find him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MJ, Jean Luc got greedy. Not a good idea to try and rip off Jerod though. He did a lot to get Lambert out of the picture, don't muck him about. :)

    @angiebeno, Ted is part of their lives and Lana is going to be very unhappy without her Teddy. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean Luc had better watch out, does he know who he's really dealing with I wonder.

    Hmmm, Ted, Ted, Ted--where is he?

    Enter Marta into the equation. I really like her, I'm guessing she has the evil trait too, like Jerod? Reminds of when she helped out Jeb in DS. lol

    Bonus pics are cute. I really love that watching the stars interaction, it's just the sweetest to watch.
    And haha at Tania roasting a lettuce. Maybe it was a cabbage?

    Finale already? Look forward in seeing how this is going to end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen,

    Obviously, Jean Luc doesn't really know about Shrimp. But he may have gotten a picture now.

    Marta isn't evil. She's a klepto so she usually ends up in the thief career. Several Sims in the DS story have appeared in mine (including my evil Shrimp was a special guest at DS but he kind of lost his head over that appearance). Last I heard, Marta was still married to my Sam Grant and they have at least one toddler. :)

    Watching stars is very sweet, especially when they are just settling back and touch hands for a moment.

    Cabbage or lettuce, it's still a fail for roasting on a fire. :)

    I've decided that short stories have to be 10 or fewer posts. Though the last one in this story might be a bit longer than the rest, we'll see.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, the bonus pics are awesome :)

    Oooh, level 2 visa? Impressive. I never bothered to try and gain any visa points with my sims, but it seems like it would be fun.

    Tania is proving to be much better at this than Jerod originally thought. Who knows how much longer she'll be able to keep it up, though...

    Jean Luc is a bit of an a-hole, I see. I was kind of hoping that Jerod would beat some sense into him. x)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I'm kind of obsessed with Jerod's hair. I can't stop staring at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I don't have many Sims that travel but those that do deserve longer stays. Of course, Shrimp's next assignment will be China - which he's never been too so it's start over time.

    Indeed, Shrimp never thought of Tania as a help for *this* kind of job. It turned out that she's capable of more than he gave her credit for.

    Actual violence is something the Jerod prefers to avoid. But if Jean Luc fails to deliver - he will regret it. :)

    Jerod's hair - hair colour is from his maternal grandmother - Chrysame's Macy Monroe. Hair style is EA store bought - one of the Surf and Sea collections. It does make him look cute.

    Thanks for dropping by Cheezy, but you didn't notice the poll on next story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HMMM. Well, I may as well say it: WHERE THE HECK IS TED?! o_o

    I have some suspicions, but they're probably all quite wrong... everything from him spying on their progress in France to planning some sort of surprise to actually being the villain behind something and now that Lambert is out of the way he usurped something or... something. I put nothing beyond Ted! ;D

    I imagine if it's something troubling though, it'll have to be resolved in this next Jerod short--which would be iiinnteresting... *nailbites* HMM.

    I love Jerod's conversation with Marta, lol--they get along quite while, don't they? ;)

    Got a chuckle out of Jerod calling Jean Luc a whore. XDD He caved so fast on that, lol... Apparently he was trying to be brave. And failed. Miserably. Lulz.

    Mmmm, fire roasted lettuce! Sounds... delish, Tania. (Your woman has straaaange taste, dude. Sure she's not pregnant again? lol)

    Probably gonna be a bit til I can see the finale to this (gaaah) but I wanted to at least make sure I dropped in a comment here, first. I saw something about your NNWM writing being unreasonably stubborn, so I hope it starts getting better for you! Even if you can't make the word goal, doing the best you can do will help you prepare for the next time! So just keep at it!! <333

    Huge hugs and smooches. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL - it certainly seems to be something everyone wants to know at the moment. Love your suspicions, but I refuse to reveal the truth!

    Marta moved next to Ted at some point, so next door neighbors, they have kids a similar age and she was always an important part of his team back when he was in the Company.

    Jean Luc let greed blind him to the general fact that *anyone* could probably make him cave in if they said 'boo' loud enough.

    Tania better not be preggy, she didn't ask me. :)

    Sorry about the finale - it's nearly ready but, that's not good enough.

    Hugs back at you. Don't stress, it will all work out. It always does.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread