22 May 2011

Too Late To Turn Back (Jerod's Second Tale - Part 4)

Right, first up stage one - information gathering. I want to know who I'm dealing with, and everything that is known about them.

So I bought a more typical local outfit from Amin and headed to the market.



I jogged most of the way, avoiding the roads and main paths. Fortunately, the river is easy to follow and a good landmark. I won't get lost this way, though getting footsore is a distinct possibility.


This new outfit is not the best disguise, my hair colour is not exactly common around here. It should be enough from a distance, I just need to be careful to stay well away from those two. Attracting attention in any way should also be avoided.

Fortunately, it was very early and the markets were deserted. 

I found the general store. I went in to buy a couple Shower-in-a-cans and a camera with a good telephoto lens.

Oh, and a mummy teddy bear for Lana. I miss my little Sweetkins. I hope Tania is coping by herself or that she did hire a sitter.

I immediately used one shower-in-a-can, it felt good to be clean.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Getting clean, at long last.'

"Outside, for heavens sake."

"Too late, I'm done. Besides, didn't I spend enough money here?"

"True enough, and there is no one else here yet today."

I spent a little time getting acquainted with the camera.  I was reduced to reading the manual to work out the controls. The camera had more buttons and settings than anything I've ever used. After I found how to set almost every control to automatic, then use the zoom, I had a look at my snaps.

Well, this is going to useful if I need my own thumbprint. Over half the practice snaps had a finger in the middle of the view.

Holding the camera correctly was the second thing I had to master. A bit more practice and I was finally getting pictures of something other than my thumb.

I headed toward base camp. I went very cautiously, using the older paths, staying away from the tourist trails.

I headed toward the back part of base camp, an area that overlooks the camping kitchen and waited behind some ruins just at the edge of the camp.

I was careful to use the rock to keep out of sight while I snapped away. It's all digital, might as well take a lot of pictures now that I have the camera.

It wasn't long before I saw the woman in black and that guy. And from the looks of things, she is not getting along well with her companion. Even though I forgot the zoom for this photo, I could tell from his body language that whatever she was saying was insulting him.

Over the next couple of hours I took pictures, unsure of which would work out.

He was occasionally trying to get away from her. She always followed him. Apparently so she could annoy him again. Interesting dynamic there, does she want to annoy him to the point that he blows up?

I had my pictures, now to find out who the fucking hell they are. I went over to visit Amin, who fortunately has a computer.

"Right, I have some digital photos that need to be emailed to Ted Ginger." Yeah, I know. Just the other day I said I don't trust the guy and yet I send him the photos? Well, he is a damned computer genius, if anyone can dig up details, it will be Ted. Plus, he owes me. He doesn't know how much just now, but he owes me.

"Come inside, friend Jerod. I have the computer hooked up."

When we got inside, I checked his computer.  I ran a standard virus check, set up a VPN, double checked the security of our connections. I'm not great with computers but a few days in the company of someone like Ted teaches you the importance of security. What I'd done wouldn't stop a true computer boffin but should do for our purposes.

I selected several pictures of both the woman and the man to send to Ginger. None of them were brilliant. At that distance, it wasn't going to be possible to get a brilliant picture. I mentioned in the email that The Family were here and these two were supposedly members.

I stayed at Amin's house while we waited for the reply. It wasn't long either, only an 1 1/2 hours passed by before the computer let us know about incoming email.

Shrimp - I assume that if you took pics, you have probably encountered this pair. From what I've found, he shouldn't be hard to deal with but she is extremely dangerous. Take all due precautions, I do not wish to deal with your wife if anything happens to you. She has already been pestering me about why I asked you to go and when you are getting back. Twice a day, in person, without fail. Usually carrying Lana who has learned to say "Where Dada?" on cue.
 
Reply immediately if Sinbad or anyone else is required as reinforcement.

Ted Ginger

Dossier - Travis "Dread" Kane

Jobs - He'll be the brawn of any operation he's in.

Methods - Kane is known to be dangerous at close quarters. He brawls frequently and seldom loses. He's strong, fast and light on his feet. It's suspected that he knows some martial arts as well. When not on the job for the Family, he practically lives at the gym.

Known weaknesses - booze and women.

Additional notes - Kane is just considered expendable muscle by his own organisation.

Dossier - Sophie "The Eliminator" Pesce

Jobs - top operative of The Family. Described by one as a pretty woman who could happily cut your heart out and hand it to you while still beating.

Methods - The Company believes that Pesce has a habit of stopping vital supplies or removing key members of the organisation in one district, leaving it vulnerable for a takeover by The Family. Her exact methods are unknown, she has been very successful in disappearing witnesses.

Known weaknesses - she has little patience for others. No one assigned to assist her ever does so more than once.

Additional notes - Pesce is suspected of being behind the disappearances of a number of people from The Company. While nothing can be proven, the Company has a bounty of 60,000 for her permanent removal. Use caution, at least 2 operatives known to have tried to claim the bounty on Pesce are missing, presumed dead.

I must count myself lucky that Pesce hasn't spent much time in tombs or she would have known that many of them have secret doors. She must have believed that the tomb would do her dirty work, which was nearly did happen.

Should I call for backup? Either Sinbad or Wyatt could prove useful. Maybe not yet. Right now, it's time to think about Brawn. He should prove an easy target.

My Sweetkins learned to say dada? God fucking damn, I want to go home.

----
Bonus pic

Garlic kebab? Mhm, bad breath city!

While Jerod was stuck in the pyramid, he found enough copper to solve a quest for one of the natives.

19 comments:

  1. Loved the dossiers on the 2 operatives, Shrimps getting all James Bond on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrimp is going Bond, with help from Ted. Ted assembled the dossiers given the photos.

    :)

    Thanks Angiebeno, that was pretty quick work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it, especially the bit where Lena learned to say "where's dad" on cue. Couldn't stop laughing. Only thing (and it's my computers fault) I had to zoom in to read the dossier. I kept reading Bread, not Dread and was like what kid of name is that. Oh well look at him, he can have any name he wants. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rae,
    If anyone else mentions the font size, I'll adjust it. It was ridiculously large on a Mac - didn't check on a PC.

    Poor Dread (aka Travis), I had this all set up when I found out that he was about to be put through the wringer in his native blog. A bit late for me to stop using his clone here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have guessed that was Travis!

    It cracked me up when in one breath Shrimp mentioned his Sweetkins learned to say Dada and then used such colorful language.

    The font size looked fine on my PC, PiB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chrysame,

    I spent quite some time redecorating Travis so even his mum wouldn't recognise him. LOL The dreadlocks helped a lot.

    Shrimpy is stressing out - makes him revert to his old ways and language. And the thought that his baby is learning stuff without him is very stressful. :)

    I had fun creating the email report - you can do a lot of html formatting if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showering in the guy's business made me chuckle. XD Way to not care about the insignificants around you, Jerod.

    He's doing a great job of being sneaky--and it sure paid off. Those dossiers are certainly handy; good of Ted to actually help him out. XD Was worried that he wouldn't... But then again, he may just be afraid of Tania. Can't blame him. I would be, haha.

    I seriously love Travis's blurb, too--especially his weaknesses. Booze and women. Yeah. XD Aaahahaha.

    And Sophie... Man, she sounds deadly. Cracks me up to see her as a villain--though in an alternate reality, it certainly is very fitting. ^^

    So... Now what is Jerod gonna do! I suppose he'll be putting those two's weaknesses to good use--I can't wait to see what happens. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kaleeko!

    Maybe after blowing nearly 4000 in one shop, he felt extra customer service had been earned. LOL

    Ted has to cope with Tania and Lana - obviously they are very scary as a team. Besides, Jerod is in Egypt to help Ted, the least Ted can do is supply information. :)

    I actually wrote that bit a few days ago, then got reminded just the yesterday *exactly* how dangerous booze and broads are for Travis. Again, I accidentally work in parallel with Desperate Sims. :)

    Miss Pesce is indeed the deadly brains of the team. And must be dealt with care.

    So, now Jerod has to make his plans.

    As an aside - When I was looking for Brawn - I realised we must be a bunch of geek girls. Cause we really don't have much in the way of brawny guys. Travis and Antonio are the two main candidates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerod is certainly faced with formidable foes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Seaweedy - always good to see you.

    Jerod knows he'll need to be careful, that is certain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was great! I loved every minute of it. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Felicia. Wait you will have to though, the WA Grants are impatiently waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post, PiB. I like seeing how Sophie's mind can work for evil. Poor Travis, though, he's been through a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great writing, PiB! And Great screenshots as well.

    I also wish for Jerod to see her Lana again, and hearing her saying dada. It's so cute :)

    Oh, that bonus pic is very entertaining.

    And Oh, Jerod! It's so funny of him to take a full clothes shower in front of the cashier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. XD, Lol! Forgive me! I typed 'her Lana' instead of 'his Lana'. I'm probably so tired and need some sleep. Good night, PiB!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MJ! Hugs - thanks for stopping by.

    Jerod adores his girl, she has another piece of his heart.

    Glad you enjoyed the update.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay so Sam is being used by a user over in the threads I posted the link in Mikezumi's forum. Hope you see these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Rae, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread