14 May 2011

No Choice (Jerod's Second Tale - Part 2)

My two favourite girls spending some quality time together.

Our Lana isn't having the easiest time with this talking thing. She listens quite a bit but doesn't get the rest of it.

When she finally does get it, her glee is easy to see. She's so pleased and proud of herself.

"Mama? Me good girl?"



"Very good girl, Lana."

I had to face up to it. I had the tickets to travel to Egypt, I just had to muster the courage to tell my darling wife.

"Tania, I'm really really sorry to do this now, but I have to go away for a few days. Maybe a week."

"Now? But Lana needs a lot of attention and I'm not moving too quick. This baby I'm carrying is very big, he's making me so slow."

"He?"

"Yes, the doctor did an ultrasound. They are sure it's going to be a boy this time." A son. That news makes me very happy.

"I know Sweetheart. I tried to avoid this trip, but I have to go."

"But why? It's not for work, you don't have a job."

She's really not going to like this. "It's Ted and the Company. Ted thinks I'm the only person that can make the arrangements they need."

"The Company? You promised me you were through with that life."

"Tania, I really did quit. But Ted is being put under a lot of pressure and he is putting some of that pressure on me. We don't want to see what he'd do if I refused. It could get ugly." I kissed her. "If I could safely refuse this, I would. But it's just not safe, for you or Lana."

"Shrimp, are you sure?"

"Yes dear. I really don't dare turn this down. Ted has given me some cash for the trip, we can use some of it to get the babysitter here for you."

"You will be careful?"

"Of course. I'll settle this and be home before you know what happened." Tania wasn't happy about it, but she's willing to trust me. Come to that, I'm not happy about it either. I like travel, I just don't like being forced into things.

Back at base camp in Egypt. It's been years since that trip with Dennis. Nothing much seems to have changed though.

Same tents, the only reason they don't stink is that the dry air keeps them from getting disgusting. The same toilets, they could definitely use buying some newer plumbing facilities. And the same fridge, still nearly but not quite falling apart.

I put in a call to my old contact. While I was waiting for him to get back to me, I answered someone's request on the adventure board. This lovely lady had lost a few items in one of the smaller tombs.

It was a quick job. I was in the tomb and out in just a couple of hours. She was properly appreciative of getting her stuff back.

"Amin, my old friend."

"Jerod, it was a surprise to hear from you."

"It has been years since I was here."

"No, no, friend Jerod. We'd been told that you had been eliminated from your organisation."

"I had quit."

"I am sorry that wasn't right. We heard you had been killed by your organisation."

"Killed? Quite obviously rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated."

"We had been told you had died and if we insisted on you as a negotiator, the Company would lie to us about your death."

"Interesting. Is that why supplies had been stopped?"

"Yes, our people wanted to ensure we were not lied to. So we did as suggested and requested you specifically."

"As you see, the Company did not lie about my death. I had quit the business, so they tried to move ahead without pulling me into it.  So, who would have suggested that I be called as negotiator?"

"We have had representations from one of the Company's rivals. I believe that they are simply known as Family?"

Oh, man. That's not good. The rivalry between the Company and Family goes back many years. More than once, fatalities happened when the two fought over turf.

"Now that I'm here, can we arrange a meeting with your people? Can we get those supplies flowing back to the Company?"

"Surely, friend Jerod. It is late today, but tomorrow you should get in touch and we will arrange a time."

"Good night to you, friend Amin. Tomorrow we can do business."

One of my fellow campers prepared a few drinks.

That's a good idea, I could use a stiff drink. That will help me relax after the flight and the day.

This really should be quite a short trip. Amin and I can sort out the shipping issue tomorrow. Then I can go home. Tania will be very happy if I can get back after only a few days.

What the fuck is in this drink? It's disgusting.

What the hell? I'm feeling so wiped out.

I think I'm going to ...

8 comments:

  1. And he's off to Egypt! Bzing!

    Have to say, I'm surprised that Tania was so lax about him going--especially knowing he was doing it for the Company. Still, there's some things not worth arguing over I suppose.

    Hmmmm... So someone told them that Jerod was dead, eh? Well--considering the reaction Jerod had to his drink, I'm wagering that they did that just to lure Jerod there for some evil purpose... *chintaps* It'll be really interesting to see what it iiissss.

    Cliffhanger, gah! XD Great post, PiB. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just see Tania trusting Shrimp as far as if he says it's really necessary for their safety. He has been a good hubby and dad since their marriage, this is the first really unexpected thing for them. :)

    Yes indeed, Jerod had a very interesting reaction to that drink.

    Cliffhangers? Now who amongst us would use cliffhangers? :)

    Hugz to Kaleeko! <3 <3 Comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that sexy sim mixing drinks was up to no good. She was dressed far too seductively to be making lemonade.

    Jerod tries to be a good boy but they keep pulling him back in! What will happen to Shrimp? Will he recover? And who is behind this mysterious Family? Tune in next time! Same bat time, same bat channel!

    Great update, PiB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. The sexy Sim mixing drinks is the brains half of my brains and brawn team. Both brains and brawn are seriously re-styled Sims from my usual assortment - brains more so then brawn.

    My poor Jerod wasn't really on his guard. He isn't used to it after a few years away.

    As for the rest, it will definitely be a tune in next time. What will happen to Shrimp?

    Thanks so much for stopping by Chrysame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Shrimp has lost his evil touch he would never of fallen for that before :( I hope he's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angiebeno, you hit Shrimp's problem. He's not used to needing to suspect everyone after a few years of peaceful family life.

    You'll have to read the next one to find out if he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no!

    Why did the company lie about his death?

    Very interesting! I'm really worried about him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey MJ

    The Egyptians had been lied to by rivals of the company.

    And unfortunately for Jerod, things are going to get worse in the near future.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread