07 May 2011

We Don't Work (Jerod's Second Tale - Part 1)

My name is Jerod, usually known as Shrimp.  For quite a while, I worked for the Company - the gang of cutthroats and thieves that work out of the Warehouse. I quit some time ago, clawing my way to the top and bashing in the heads of those who wanted to be in my spot just didn't appeal. I'm more an artist and party boy than a headbasher.

Things have moved along since then. Not my employment, I'm still happily unemployed. I paint and play the drums for cash. Tania is doing well in her career, she has risen quickly in the music industry.

We may not be rich. We do have more than what we need to get by.

There's a new girl in my life now. Her name is Lana. Our little princess is so cute.

This fatherhood thing isn't too bad but I wish babies came with instruction manuals. Lana has very healthy lungs when she wants to complain, it's not always clear why she's crying.


Before either Tania or I knew quite what happened, our daughter was a toddler. While Tania goes off to take care of other things, like her job, I watch Lana.

We spend a lot of time down in the park, I'm playing for tips with my adorable daughter as accompaniment. Having a toddler play with you really brings in extra tips. No one can resist Lana. She takes that toy xylophone very seriously which causes every female around to drop a few coins in the jar.

So it was a typical day out for Lana and I. It took me a little while to notice that my accompaniment had suddenly stopped playing. I looked over to find that Ted Ginger was holding my daughter. This was an unwelcome surprise. Twinbrook is a small place but Ted and I usually manage to avoid each other.

"Ginger, put my daughter down."

"I'm not going to hurt her. She's adorable, takes after her mother." Ted paused. "I need to talk to you."

"About what?"

"We've been having problems lately with our contacts in Egypt."

"So? What's that got to do with me? I quit, remember?"

Damn, I wish he'd put Lana down already. It makes me nervous.

"For quite a while, everything seemed normal. The supplies we need were shipped as usual, it was all good."

"Well?"

"Lately, the Egyptians have started to refuse to ship anything to the Company."

"I still don't see why this is in any way my problem."

"They say they only want to deal through you. The implication is that they were so impressed by how you handled with Dennis that you are the only operative they trust."

"Look, could you put the baby down? I can't concentrate while you are holding her. If you are going to steal her candy, just get it over with." I know Ted has an evil streak and even I have to fight the temptation to steal candy from my own baby.

Ted gave Lana a quick tickle.

Then set her down very gently. I think Lana rather likes him. More than I can say about the guy.

Actually, that's not quite true. We get along well enough, I just don't trust him, at all. I never have trusted him. I respect that he is a devious bastard. An extremely clever devious bastard. So you have to watch your back around him.

"So, Ginger, you are telling me that the Egyptians are refusing to deal with the Company now?"

"They demand you be the negotiator for the Company. I went over to Egypt myself and was royally fucked over. The head of this region went over to Egypt and he was given the cold shoulder. We had a supply of goods in reserve, but that is gone. The supplies have to start flowing again."

"Watch the language, there are babies present."

"Since when did you give a fuck about language?"

"Since there are babies present, and Tania doesn't want her baby learning foul language first."

"Right, well, I'll try, Shrimp."

"So, Ginger, you expect me to drop everything, fly to Egypt and do this?"

"I'm authorised to pay you 20,000 simoleons for the job. You get half when you travel. The other half is the bonus if you succeed."

"No Ginger, it's just not my problem."

"You really don't want to refuse me. Because if you refuse, we'll have to look at ways of making you feel more cooperative. You know, the nightly visit from a burglar, regular fires on the lot."

"We could move."

"Far enough to leave Company territory? And I believe that Tania is at a stage in her career where changing to an equivalent job is no longer possible." He sighed, "Don't force me to make personal threats."

"You wouldn't dare make personal threats."

"Jerod, this is vital. It threatens the Company. You have to go to Egypt and get those supplies flowing again. I will do whatever it takes to force you to negotiate with the Egyptians." He looked at me, then he looked at Lana. Not a further word of threat, the implication was clear enough. "Really, it's best for everyone if you just agree to go."

"Can't I think about it?"

"Not for long, the situation has grown critical. I can give you a couple of days. If your answer isn't yes, well, there will be consequences."

I had to double check Ted's story. First I walked over to Marta's house. Not a long walk, she lives next door.

"Hey, what's up, Marta?"

"Oh, well, life, you know?"

"Fill me in."

"Well, we just had a baby girl."

"Think there's a weird virus? We have a little girl too."

Marta smiled faintly. "And there's something bothering Ginger at work. He hasn't said anything to us specifically but he's been over to one of the main Company offices at least once. And overseas a couple of times."

"So there really is something up at the Company? Ted was just talking to me about it."

"In that case, you know more than I do. Ginger just growls at me if I ask."

It was time to teach Lana to walk. She's getting so big.

Look at that sweet little face. God, how do I best protect her? She trusts her daddy to be there for every step.

Then Tania spent a few days running for the toilet. It wasn't long before she made an appointment with the doctor.

The doctor confirmed that Tania is pregnant again. We are going to have a second child.

God, what a time to have to decide about this trip.


"Sinbad? I need to talk to you."

"Yeah, have you heard anything lately about Company problems?"

"That's what Ginger was telling me. The supplies from Egypt have dried up."

"So he's under a lot of pressure to get supplies back?"

"Thanks Bad. I needed to know all of that."

Sinbad pretty much confirmed all of Ginger's story. The supplies from Egypt stopped. Ginger is under pressure to fix the problem or they will destroy him. So now he's putting pressure on me.

Damn damn damn. I can't see any way around this, I have to go. If I don't, Ginger will carry out those threats to the house and the family. If I still had that position, I'd have to do exactly the same.

Tomorrow, I'll have to tell Tania and make the other travel arrangements. It's not going to get any easier if I put it off.

-------
The bonus pics that just didn't quite make the story.


Tania and Shrimp were jamming in the park when they were rudely interrupted.

Even Evil dudes panic about incoming babies.

Scariest place Jerod's ever been.

Aww.


 Jerod, we know you are evil but don't put the baby in the light fixture!



birthday party x 3. Shrimp, Tania and Lana in one massive party.

Never did show Tania's tattoo last time.

Just because.
Ouch, Shrimp, doesn't it hurt to put your elbow through the wall?

12 comments:

  1. Yay Jerod is back and a Daddy!

    So glad you decided to write more of him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angiebeno.

    Yep, it's the return of Jerod. The idea behind this story started to get insistent about being told. So here it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello there, Jerod! :)

    Awww--Tania and him had a baby! Woot woot for them. Love that he takes her out with her to get more tips, too. ;) Very cute.

    And of course, what man would Ginger be if he didn't come out and try to drag Jerod out of his simple life? What a jerk--has his own neck on the line, so he's willing to screw his fellow redhead out of living peacefully. Jerod always seems to get caught between a rock and a hard place, no?

    It'll be interesting to see, if Jerod does end up going, what all this hullabaloo is going on in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jerod just hid somewhere... /tease.

    Who could resist a toddler like that? They get a lot of tips together from the awwwwww factor.

    I think the pic of Lana learning to walk is the best I've ever taken of a toddler.

    Ted is stuck in a hard place, and he's dragging Shrimp along for the ride. Poor Jerod.

    Tune in next time for another thrilling episode. Same Shrimp Time, Same Shrimp Channel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this blog bookmarked for awhile, glad I have gotten started, it is a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Seaweedy. This blog can go the longest between updates, it can be some time before I do a new story. But I try to make the wait worthwhile.

    Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jerod. He is fast becoming one of my favorite sim characters ever. :-)

    I just finished his first story, and I was excited that there was another. :-D I love seeing what he gets up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Felicia, Jerod has turned out to be a very entertaining Sim.

    You've nearly caught up with him now. Not sure if there is a third story in his future but I had to have a second because I wanted to see what the babies might look like and I've gotten very fond of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that he's coming back. I really miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shrimp seems to have quite the fangirl club. :) I missed him too. Seeing him in Phillip's blog reminded me how interesting Shrimp was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, dear Shrimpy...You shouldn't give in to his demands. If you'd told your wife of his threats i'm sure she'd be happy to move.
    Baaabiesss :D Lana is adorableeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL - It would have been a really really short story if they had just moved out of town to avoid the situation. Lana is so cute indeed. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread