04 July 2010

The Orphanage - Part 1

My name is Thomas Leman.  I'm an orphan.  I don't even remember having parents, I've been at the adoption agency since I can remember. I asked a few times about my parents but every time got a different story.  I think they must have left me in a dumpster or something.

Today, I was moved from the agency to an orphanage.  This is bad.  Very bad.  If you end up here, you're old enough that your odds of being adopted are tiny.  We all know it.  In theory, we can be adopted but in practice, this is my home until I'm old enough to live on my own.



I think it's the hair colour that scared off people looking to adopt kids.  One look and they think I have a temper.  Seeing so many other babies and toddlers getting new families has left its mark.  I'm easy to touch off, I'll laugh or cry at almost anything. Still, it's not anger, it's just emotional.

Miss Polly runs the orphanage.  She seems ok but I've only just arrived.

Just arrived and I'm already under fire by the bully.  This teen is Theodore Damon.  I've barely set foot on the lot and he's telling me that I'm worse than garbage.  I won't run off to cry, I won't run off to cry.

Now he's telling me that I'll never find love.  Love?  Who is looking for love?  I just want to find a quiet hole that I can hide in until I'm old enough to leave!  And he calls me carrot-top.  I hate being called that.  Honestly hate it.

Wow, check this kid out.  He saw Theodore picking on me and he's come over to tell Theodore off.

The kid's name is Sam Grant.  I think he's my hero.

I don't think that Sam liked Theodore that much to start with.  And now they really don't get along.

Sam and I have to wear the same shirts.  The bigger guys don't have to do this, it's not fair that we have a uniform.

The orphanage currently has 6 kids; 3 teens and 3 my age (including me).

This is AJ.  She's a bit older than me.  Sam is the oldest of us kids.

This is Trevor Sexton.  I haven't talked to him yet but at least he didn't pick on me the moment I arrived.

This is the last teen, Kelly Trent.

I thanked Sam for taking on the bully.  He told me he remembers when he was new here and the big boys tried to bully him. He didn't stand for that then and he didn't want to see them try it with me.

He's one tough kid.  I'll have to ask him what made him so bold.

Miss Polly gave us permission to open a bake stand.  But she say we need to earn enough to pay her back for the equipment and supplies.

Trevor might not be too bad for a teenager.  He told Theodore off for being mean.

Sam and I went fishing.  I asked him to come along, but I didn't say it was in case Theodore was here.  I was too stressed already by my first day, I really didn't need to have Theodore in my face again.

I've heard that his friends call him Ted.  I'd love to call him Ted E Bear, however I don't really want to see a doctor afterwards.  I wonder if I could get Sam to do it?

Sam caught a minnow while we were out.

I caught a couple of minnows and a pretty decent sized goldfish.  I told Sam about the "Ted E Bear" idea and his reply was that he has no interest in meeting the Grim Reaper at such a young age. He has a point.

Oh dear, I thought life couldn't get any worse but I've just noticed the bed situation.  This is the boys room.

And this is the girls room.  2 girls and 4 boys - I bet I know which of us has to sleep here.  That would be the youngest boy, me.

The Orphanage is much prettier than I would have expected.  Miss Polly explained that everyone who leaves here donates some money when they can to make it a better place.  It's been an orphanage for a long time and has had many donations.

11 comments:

  1. Young Thomas, Sam and AJ. It's really pretty cool to see them as children. If if the circumstances of their meeting is rather sad.

    Who are the other characters? Are they EA pre-mades? Great start, PiB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to set up comments - more or less emailing posts directly.

    :)

    The others are just randomly generated from the CAS - but Kelly seems to have used Alicia as a template. And anyone else is just a Twinbrook dweller passing by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotcha. I'll be watching for this one. I think it's going to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't turn on the email new posts yet either. :) Did you want some?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!

    Please put me on the email notification list. I simply love this. I love the background too.

    Poor little Thomas is an orphan. And AJ and Sam. I don't like that Theodore already. Such a bully. I really thought that was Alicia before I read who it is. I agree. It looks like CAS used Alicia.

    Love seeing them as children. this is going to be such a great story. Are you in Twinbrook?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked if you are in TWinbrook and you already said you are. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just about to give in and go to bed Dee.

    It is kind of fun to age them back. Sam wasn't a surprise - over half the male Sammy spawn look like that as children. But I had no idea what Thomas would look like. AJ is quite the pretty little girl.

    Theo isn't very nice and he's willing to take it out on those younger and smaller than him. Thomas is the youngest so the natural victim.

    I don't know if this blog will have more than one story but I want to write this one and it just doesn't fit any of the other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'm sure you are sleeping soundly by now. I was working my way up through my emails and catching up on blogs.

    They all do make cute kids.

    I can see where Theo would be bitter. After all, he's probably spent most of his life in the orphanage. That is still no excuse for being a bully.

    I believe this is going to be such a great story. I said that before, didn't I. Oh well, I'm known for repeating myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theodore has probably always been a bit of a bully, that's why he ended up here. It's just getting worse as he gets older and bigger.

    I hope the story lives up to expectations. I do know where I'm going - the roadmap is there, the journey is started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread