10 July 2010

The Orphanage - Part 6

The next week of my life was misery.  I wasn't sleeping well. I wasn't eating well. I was very despondent since Sam left. I only have two friends in this world and who knows when I'll see Blue again.


AJ is here for me, I know that. But she'll leave here long before I do and it's not going to be the same. By the time I'm old enough to move out, they'll have lives of their own. Homes, jobs, families, no time for old friends at all. I can see it now.




I had a shock the next weekend. Sam came back to talk to Miss Polly.



He brought papers with him to prove that he had a place to live and a job. He wants...he wants to be our guardian. He wants us to move to his place. Sam came back for us. I was stunned by it. Sam came back for us.



Miss Polly was more than a bit stunned.  It's been a long time since even a child was adopted from here.  Sam isn't exactly the sort of guy you'd expect to be a guardian, he is only just of legal age himself. He does met the city requirements for doing this though. That's why he brought proof of the house and the job. Sam put his heart and all his charisma into persuading Miss Polly. She really didn't stand much of a chance of refusing.


And so we left the Orphanage in Sam's care.  Our Blue says if we raise any sort of hell, he'll dump us back here. He's joking, of course.  It's not like any of us have been hell raising before, and I certainly wouldn't want to start now.


The house was a big step downmarket from the Orphanage.  Only to be expected, the amount of money Sam could get as a loan was tiny. It's a roof over our heads and we are three once again.  That's what's important.

AJ and I still have school. I thought about getting a parttime job but it's very stressful. I'm also thinking about registering as a self-employed painter. I told Sam that I want a career in science. He said that the idea of me being a top-level scientist creeped him out, but he has no idea why. Perhaps it's just that title of Mad Scientist - surely only a title.

AJ decided to self-register as an Angler. She loves catching fish and dreams of catching a perfect fish of each type someday. If we learn a few fish recipes, we should be set for food for life. Or sell fish to buy good stuff from the market. She already had caught enough fish to reach level 3 of her career.

Sam is ambitious and wants to master sculpting, painting and inventing. He's registered as a sculpter and is working hard to learn the skill.


We are all pitching together to make the new place work.  We swap over the cleaning, cooking and general chores.  We have not much money yet.  Red, White and Blue stand as a team.



Fortunately, there was space in the one bedroom to fit three single beds.  Sam didn't think it would be appropriate for any of us to be sharing a bed at the moment. Since he is our adult presence, we do listen to what rules he makes.  It's not really been bad, this is the main rule so far.

White and I are Best Friends Forever.  I think she's fallen for those bunny slippers.  Maybe they are cuter than I realised.

AJ was running to a fishing spot and found this. Someone painted a jackalope on the ground.  It would be interesting to find out who and why.

The first time any of us got to celebrate a birthday. AJ is looking so splendid with her new outfit.

I think our Blue is after a bit more then just congratulating White on her birthday.  We've been best friends for so long, this isn't a surprise. I just wish...

9 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for insomnia!

    Sam came through for them. That's not a surprise. He had a house(barely), a job and the desire to take care of the kids.

    It looked very organized. Take turns with chores, single beds. Good plan.

    Then AJ has a birthday and that changes everything...potentially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You are up very late/early.

    Sam did come through. I wouldn't have said a desire to take care of kids, but the need to make sure his friends were ok.

    Yep, everything is going to change now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad night lead to hot flashes led to insomnia. But, I got to see an update!

    AJ looks like she's enjoying Sam's hug in the last picture. They both look like they don't want to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, do you think you'd let go of Sam easily?

    I just realised that I have White wearing red and Blue wearing white. Obviously Red is going to have to wear a lot of blue when he ages up.

    I'm glad you happened to be up. I thought I might get comments by tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no.. love triangle? With their background and friendship made it very interesting.
    I never see that painting before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll get comments. No doubt there.

    Blue looks good in white. I think it's a bit symbolic.

    I have the feeling we're getting to the nitty gritty of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey MJ

    That painting is weird. It's not any place in particular, it's not far from where my Sims live but that's way out of the normal part of town in the swampy area. Startled the hell out of me when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great catch of those two sitting there with their legs crossed. Sammy just looks rich sitting there in those clothes and then I discover he's not rich at all.
    No matter what the house is like It's still better than living in an orphanage and Thomas is with his friends.
    *laughing* about Sam being creeped out regarding the Mad Scientist. Some small memory from a former life could cause that.

    Oh those bunny slippers are cuter than you realise Thomas.

    I never saw that Jackalope before. I'm going to have to go back into Twinbrook and see what other surprises are there.

    I still love what you've done with AJ.
    Ooh, I just know something is about to happen, and like I said before, AJ is going to be right in the middle of it. I have a feeling things are never going to be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam hadn't had time to get rich - not to mention he hadn't *actually* moved out of the Orphanage yet - it would have been too difficult to set up the pictures if he wasn't in the house.

    Far better to be on the bad side of town with those that love you then on the good side with those that don't.

    YES! Sam had a momentary Sammy clone memory and wasn't keen on a Mad Scientist in the family - especially Thomas.

    The next update is there so you'll be commenting again soon I think. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Please say so. Or drop a line on the Forum thread